Wednesday 15 November 2017

Blog twenty-nine: Memphis & Dallas - a tale of two cities

The Benjamin Hooks Library, Memphis.

Forgive me, readers, for I have slacked – it has been over a week since my last post, but it’s been some week. By the end of tomorrow I will have travelled, by Google’s estimation although the real number will be higher, 4,443 miles or 40.8 Nottingham to Londons. Also, this number doesn’t include the flight from Manchester, this is all buses, trains, taxis and lifts in the USA. I feel I owe you two blogs and I probably will split my progress up to now into two portions, so first up: Memphis and Dallas – a tale of two cities.

Memphis, I arrived into at about 3am where I’d be staying with AirBnB host and Air Force Veteran CC, who very accommodatingly allowed me to arrive at her place at such an ungodly hour of the morning and get some sleep. CC’s was a little way outside of downtown Memphis and as I discovered the public transport around the area were pretty poor on the weekend, so I resolved to have some chill out time, explore the neighbourhood rather than the city and walk the 2 miles or so on Sunday to the Benjamin Hooks Library in Binghampton which is the city’s main hub branch, named after the Civil Rights lawyer from Memphis Benjamin Hooks. Orange Mound, where I was staying, was a very diverse neighbourhood but was close to the university campus (it reminded me of Radford quite a bit) and boasted some great places to eat including Brother Juniper’s where I went for breakfast and the incredible Malia's Wings, where I really didn’t need to go and eat as I’d eaten fairly recently already but I was so glad I did! Malia’s was a trailer and BBQ smoker on a vacant lot by a bus stop with a few overhanging trees that hat been cut into for wood for the fire. The smell, the feel of the place and queue of locals (you knew they were local as they hadn’t driven so must have only lived in a few blocks radius!) marked this out as a must and the rib tips and slaw I had were sublime – some of the best food I’ve had on the trip! I was so full after my day of walking, exploring and eating, that I went back to CC’s and fell asleep!

Malia's. I'm getting hungry just looking at it...


Sunday, as I had mentioned, was my day to walk to the Library and I was impressed. The space was a four-storey glass building was some really cool sculptures outside, which looked like giant rollers, that had impressed into the concrete floor famous quotations, images and depictions of world cultures – including the first verse of Lewis Carroll’s Jaberwocky (a personal favourite). Inside the children’s library was easy to find and had much of the stuff I’d come to expect now from the fantastic library spaces in the US – including tree cloud beds for stuffed animals and another theatre/education space. I had a great wander round but then decided to hole up upstairs, use the wifi and browse their extensive history section. I read a chapter of a biography of Lyndon Johnson ahead of my trip to Texas!

The next day was my meeting with Knox, the director of Literacy Mid-South. LMS works across both adult and youth literacy and we had a great chat about the work they do, the data sharing arrangements they have with the city and the school board and the way that they broker partnership working with the voluntary sector, both when this works well and when it doesn’t – especially partners working unilaterally. This was probably one of the less exciting meetings to read about in this sort of a context but it was invaluable to talk with Knox about the issues in Memphis, which felt all too familiar for Nottingham, and the way that they coordinate delivery. Most of the other organisations I’ve met have been much more hands-on, delivery focused and doing that delivery themselves, but LMS in their children’s work are much more a coordinator and it was great to get this perspective.

The National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel, Memphis.


After meeting with Knox and another hat handover, I headed into Downtown Memphis to visit the National Civil Rights Museum at the former Lorraine Motel, the site where in 1968 Dr Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated. The motel has been kept looking as it did in the late 1960s and that I found to be the most moving part of the memorial and the museum. The outside also had very good and informative mini-video screens which gave some context Dr King, why he was in Memphis supporting the striking sanitation workers and the movement he had become the leader of. There was time for a last serving of Memphis style ribs and then I had to get the bus to the Megabus depot for my overnight trip to Dallas.

Dallas was again a tale of opposites – opposite sides of the massive metroplex that is the greater Dallas conurbation as I was working in projects on the East and West sides of the city. I arrived, bleary eyed, at around 6am and had to break my rule – I went to Starbucks, as nowhere else was open, it was cold and I was in serious need of a cup of coffee. I had until 3pm to check out downtown Dallas before I could check into my AirBnB so after my coffee and some napping in the corner of the coffee shop, like any enterprising literacy scholar would, I headed to the public library to see what their offer was. Dallas’ J. Erik Jonsson Central Library in Downtown is a very busy space as it acts as an informal day shelter for the city’s huge homeless population. When I was in the main areas the place was packed with people but usefully there seemed to be an accepted rule that these day users wouldn’t go onto the second floor where the children’s library was. It wasn’t as exciting as the other spaces, which admittedly had been recommended to me – it felt a little tired and the staff were understandably wary. There were no children in the place when I was there either, it made it feel very weird when compared to the bustle of the downstairs. After my browse in the library, I had a quick stop off at the grassy knoll and Dealey Plaza where JFK was assassinated in 1963 (this post is becoming a bit of a who’s who of assassinations of the 1960s).

Me and Cordaro at Readers 2 Leaders.


My first proper stop in Dallas was at the project Readers 2 Leaders, where I met with Audrey, their development associate. This again was another interesting conversation and one which focused mostly on data and accounting for progress of the children in the program. R2L’s program operates after-school in West Dallas and serves

After talking about the organisational structures with Audrey, I met with Lisa and Cordaro. Lisa was one of the senior tutors and runs the after-school program, which was on whilst I was there, and Cordaro was one of the students. Lisa and I chatted for a while about the history of the organisation and their structure, which was more regimented than some of the others I’d seen but was delivering results. Cordaro and I were then buddied up to do his reading assignment and he read Diary of a Wimpy Kid to me and we learnt the word “founder”. Usefully, Readers 2 Leaders have photo permissions for their young people too, so I was able to get a snap with Codaro and he got to wear the Robin Hood hat!

The next day saw me visit the Aberg Centre for Literacy in East Dallas, about an hour from where I was staying. Aberg is a program for the Hispanic community where pre-K children and their parents receive English tuition concurrently in adult and child classes. After meeting Shana, the program’s Executive Director, I was partnered with Miss Grace and her small class of 6-year olds and we spent the morning reading stories, talked about what their plans for thanksgiving might be, dressed up and did jigsaws. We even went to the sports hall and had a kick about. Aberg’s style I liked, especially the importance of play in the way that they worked and involvement of the parents in both the early play sessions, from 9-9:30 the parents are with some of the children before the parents’ English classes start, and the fact the parents get support in their literacy too.

Sunset over Fort Worth as I head out of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex for New Mexico...


From Aberg I then began my longest trek, from East Dallas, Texas to Taos, New Mexico – a bus, tram, train, bus, train, taxi, car journey for 680 miles, including one-night sleeping on the train and one in a motel in Albuquerque, across Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico. My “savage pilgrimage” began. Read all about it next time!